In this position, you will deal directly with clients to review fire safety, assist in completing a home fire escape plan, and review preparedness tips. You will be part of a smoke alarm home visit team. The American Red Cross Disaster Cycle Services (DCS) launched the Home Fire Preparedness Campaign (HFPC) in October 2014. Its goal is to reduce the rate of deaths and injuries due to home fires by 25 percent over 5 years. Its strategy includes participating in a community coalition that targets neighborhoods at-risk for home fires; installs and tests smoke alarms; and provides fire safety and disaster preparedness education/planning.
- Visit homes and help review a fire safety checklist with the resident, assist the resident in completing a home fire escape plan and review preparedness tips.
- Follow all guidelines, training, safety and documentation requirements for this task.
- Provide reporting and evaluation feedback for continuous improvement purposes.
- Approximately 5 hours per shift
- Choose weekday or weekend availability, depending on location.
- Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals and possess good communication skills.
- Age 16+ to enter homes
- Advancement within the disaster workforce, mentorship opportunities, deployment opportunities, and training provided.
- American Red Cross Volunteer Orientation
- Disaster Services: An Overview (optional)
- Home Fire Preparedness Campaign Guidance and Training: Safety for Home Visits, Fire Safety and Disaster Education, and other required training.