At the Save the Bay Swim 500 swimmers traverse 1.7 miles from Newport to Jamestown to raise money and awareness for Save The Bay. Volunteers are needed to support this event!
Volunteers will be paired up with a partner to inspect kayaks for required length and appropriate equipment, such as life jackets, whistles, paddle & leash, blankets or towels. Inspectors will receive instructions and a checklist.
Volunteers will park at the Newport Grand Casino, 150 Admiral Kalbfus Road, Newport, and take a shuttle into the base. Naval security is strict. On Swim Day, you must follow these instructions:
- Park at the Newport Grand Casino
- Bring your LICENSE to the table with Navy Security near the Shuttles.
- The Navy staff will check your id against the master list of ALL SWIMMERS, KAYAKERS, VOLUNTEERS, and SPECTATORS.
- The Navy staff will stamp/mark your hand to confirm your ID.
- Return to your car to drop off your ID and gather any belongings.
- Enter the shuttle to travel to the Navy Base.
We have many volunteer roles at The Swim! To view the full list, visit the Swim Volunteer Page.